This is the most important thing you can do for your skin this summer: invest in a good sunscreen with a high SPF so you can minimize sun damage!
You should be wearing sunscreen on your face, hands, and neck every day. This quick addition to your morning skincare routine makes a world of difference.
Simply apply SPF after you’ve cleansed and moisturized each morning and you’ll be protected from harmful UV rays. Too much sun exposure can cause cancer, premature photo-aging, sunspots, wrinkles, and discoloration.
There are two types of sunscreen: mineral and chemical.
Mineral sunscreen contains ingredients like zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. It sits on top of the skin and functions as a protective layer, shielding the skin from UV rays by reflecting the light away.
Chemical sunscreen sinks into the skin, where it absorbs UV rays and converts them into heat. However, you shouldn’t wear chemical sunscreen if you’ve just undergone an aesthetic procedure such as microneedling — wait at least five days.
In the words of Lisa, our aesthetics provider and the owner of Livio Med Spa: sunscreens are like shoes. All of them are protective and most of them are pretty cute, but one type of shoe does not fit every occasion. On sunny days, we like to recommend thicker sunscreens for extra protection. For more elegant events, there are lighter, tinted sunscreens that can double as foundation. Sunscreen sticks are ideal for convenience — just pop the cap and rub it on. Meanwhile, compact sunscreens are perfect for on-the-go use: they are solids so they won’t spill in your bag, and the compact has a built-in mirror to help you apply wherever, whenever.
At Livio, we offer both mineral and chemical sunscreens:
- Essential Defense Mineral Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 32 (Tinted). This sunscreen has just a touch of color to help minimize the appearance of pores without clogging them and to brighten your complexion. This lightweight SPF is perfect for sensitive skin!
- Total Defense + Repair Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50+. This sunscreen protects against not only UV rays, but also infrared light as well.
- sunbetter® TONE SMART SPF 75 Sunscreen Lotion. This creamy sunscreen has a hint of color, allowing it to act as primer under makeup or to take the place of a light coverage foundation.
- sunbetter® TONE SMART SPF 68 Sunscreen Compact. This sunscreen compact is perfect for on-the-go use. Put it in your purse and apply it anywhere! It’s a solid, so it won’t spill in your bag, and the built-in mirror allows you to use it wherever you are.
- sunbetter® SHEER SPF 56 Sunscreen Stick. This sunscreen stick is perfect for sporty or beach days. It’s weightless and transparent, and it leaves your skin feeling silky soft.
Give us a call or come in for a consultation to find out which type of sunscreen will most benefit you!